Thursday, April 5, 2012

This Is For the Mom

Bibs, boardrooms, and finding balance in between.  Is it possible?  Ready or not, I am about to find out.  My name is Bonnie and I am a working mom...as of four days ago.  With four exciting, confusing, tear filled, invigorating, and challenging days behind me, I felt it was time to begin documenting this journey.

My journey to motherhood was a long and interesting one to say the least.  For the last few years, all I wanted was to hold that little bundle in my arms.  It was the fight of my life just getting there, but more on that later. Before Jack was born, I used to imagine the doctor putting that baby in my arms and looking down at his little face.  I knew that if I could just get there, I would be alright.  Things would fall magically into place.

Now I find myself here with my bundle....and the rest of life is shockingly still here. The alarm sounds at 5 AM and there is still lunches to pack, dogs to feed, a house to pick up, and a husband to love.  However, there is something poetic in the madness.  I keep going back to something my mom told me.  She said to keep reminding myself that these ARE the good 'ol days.  I plan to enjoy them as much as I can, even while I attempt this new balancing act between a husband, a career I love, and a little boy who already has stolen my whole heart.

I have a lot to share and I hope this place becomes one of comfort and encouragement for all moms.  We all know that a mother's work is never done, even if we don't work in an office.  I have the pleasure of knowing many fantastic moms.  I also know that we ALL need a little encouragement once in a while.  I will conclude this first post with a poem I wrote a few weeks ago.  I hope it blesses you!


This Is For The Mom…
This is for the mom that can take any sheet
And turn it into a magical fort
Who cuts the crust off of every sandwich
And becomes a fan of every new sport

This is for the mom who leaves every day
Before the morning light
And as she kisses that sleeping face goodbye
Wonders if missing these moments will ever feel right

This is for the mom with the child with a strong will
Who always insists on his own way
Who worries she is starting to see herself
In her child more every day

This is for the mom whose family is far
And home is a plane ride away
Who worries her child won’t have memories
Of grandma and grandpa someday

This is for the mom whose days feel all the same
Another nap and another lunch
Who wonders if she’s making a difference
As she pours that third cup of punch

This is for the mom who counts every penny
To buy the practical things she should
But in her heart she would give her baby
The whole world if she could

This is for the mom who doubts
And for the one who cries
This is for the mom who worries
Who just wants to be more wise

This is for you my friend
On this hurried day
You need to hear something
So hear me when I say

You are not alone
You are doing alright
So just keep walking
And fight the good fight

Please know that the love you feel
For that little face covered in glitter and glue
Is only just a fraction of the love
Our Father in Heaven has for you

May He give you the strength you need
And show you which way is best
And may He give your weary soul
True and lasting rest

-Bonnie Kent






 

2 comments:

  1. Sweet Bonnie...i remember when you were that little bundle and so very precious to your mommy. You have grown into a wonderful, creative, loving mommy now and i know the Lord will bless those who read your blog. Hugs from just a computer away and know that you are loved and prayed for by me...another mommy whose journey never ends!!
    Mamma Kuper/Darla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie I am not even a mother and that poem had me choked up. What a beautiful message and as I witness my sister with a new baby trying to juggle everything I can see her life in your words. I love your new blog- keep it up!- Rebecca (Ball) Zweig :)

    ReplyDelete